Kirkpatrick Concrete, Inc. began operations in 1892 and is one of the oldest concrete companies operating in Alabama. Hodgson Concrete is a well-respected name that has been a part of the Southeast Alabama market since 1898. Walker Concrete Company is one of the oldest and largest concrete companies operating in Metro Atlanta.
In Alabama, Kirkpatrick Concrete serves north Alabama and the greater Birmingham metro area. Kirkpatrick's Southern Division, better known in the marketplace as Hodgson Concrete, serves the Montgomery, Alabama market, while Walker Concrete services metro Atlanta, Georgia communities.
When the company was founded on June 24, 1892 as Kirkpatrick & Company, mule teams were used to made deliveries from a Morris Avenue warehouse.
The pride of Kirkpatrick's fleet in the roaring 20's, a 1920 model Federal truck ready for downtown Birmingham deliveries.
A modern vehicle for its day, the delivery truck boasted solid rubber tires, hand crank and carbide lights. The Federal Motor Truck Company was an American truck manufacturer headquartered in Detroit, Michigan.
In the 1930 Birmingham City Directory, Kirkpatrick listed 43 different products.
Ironically, none of them were ready-mix concrete. In those days, the aggregates and cloth bags of cement were delivered for on-site mixing.
Until the end of World War II, Kirkpatrick used four 2-cubic yard horizontal mixer trucks still loading them from cloth bags.
To prepare for the building boom that was predicted after the war, the company first installed an overhead cement bin to eliminate the handling of cloth bags.
Pictured, one of the first concrete plants located in downtown Birmingham. This Kirkpatrick plant was built in 1945, operated until the 1950's and was fed by bucket conveyor.
In 1966, Kirkpatrick installed a semi-automatic C.S. Johnson ready-mix plant with a four yard mixer.
At the same time, the company established two dry-batch satellite plants.
By the 1970's, Kirkpatrick operated a Rexnord ten-yard capacity mix plant with fully automatic batching controlled by punch cards.
During this era of time, the company began centralizing its operations utilizing the region's newly completed major highways.
Kirkpatrick was in high demand during Birmingham's building boom of the 1980s.
Major projects included the Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center, UAB, new shopping malls, hospitals, highways and interstates.
In 1992, Kirkpatrick marked its 100th year of service to central Alabama.
Reflecting on its 100-year history, company leaders noted that Kirkpatrick's service was just as important as its concrete.
During the dawn of the 21st century, Kirkpatrick continued its long record of service.
In 2016, Kirkpatrick enhanced its long-term communication goals via ConcreteSouth. The growth of customer relationships is more important that short term growth projections to everyone in our company.
Walker Concrete History
More than 60 years ago, Barney Walker set out with a pickup truck, two-bag mixer, and a dedication to providing outstanding customer service.
He was soon pouring footings, driveways, and foundations all across the growing counties of Fayette and Clayton.
A few years later, he was asked if he could supply the concrete for a large commercial project.
Barney accepted the challenge, providing the concrete for the massive Atlanta Motor Speedway. And he never looked back.
Founded by James Hodgson in 1898, the company manufactured and delivered raw materials to job sites using horse and mule-drawn carts.
As manufacturing technology and vehicle production progressed during the 1900s, so did Hodgson Concrete’s methods of making and delivering its products.
When Ready Mixed Concrete became a more specialized industry, Robert Hodgson, Sr., shifted the company’s focus away from contracting and onto concrete production.
Robert Hodgson, Jr., joined the company after serving in World War II.
As each new generation of the Hodgson family took over the company’s reins, it infused new ideas, innovations, and applications into its ever-expanding product line.
Pictured: Hodgson's 1964 work crew courtesty Alabama Department of Archives and History.
The sons of Robert Hodgson, Jr., Bill and Bobby, began running the family-owned business in the mid-1970s. During this era, the company had the first computerized ready mix plant in the state of Alabama and was one of the first firms to incorporate concrete pumping as a service. In addition, Hodgson's flagship plant featured a central mixer (instead of mixing it in the truck itself) which greatly increased quality and efficiency.
Hodgson was in high demand during Alabama's building boom of the 1980s.
In 2000, Hodgson Concrete was acquired by Kirkpatrick Concrete. The two companies have a combined tenure of more than 200 years serving construction interests in central and north central Alabama.
Now under third generation family management, Hodgson Concrete continues to serve metropolitan Montgomery.